Home News State News Benue Attack: 16 Killed As Gunmen Raid Otukpo, Kwande Communities

Benue Attack: 16 Killed As Gunmen Raid Otukpo, Kwande Communities

33
0

No fewer than 16 persons have been killed in renewed attacks on communities in Benue State by suspected armed herdsmen, with several others sustaining injuries in separate incidents across Otukpo and Kwande Local Government Areas.

The attacks, which occurred between Monday and Tuesday, also led to the theft of motorcycles belonging to fleeing farmers.

The deadliest incident happened early Tuesday when gunmen reportedly invaded Efeyi community in Ugboju District of Otukpo LGA around 4am, killing at least 14 people and injuring several others.

A local source said the casualty figure could increase as some residents remained missing while search efforts continued.

“The current situation in Efeyi Ugboju is pathetic. The attack started around 4am, and three hours later there was no response from the security agencies. The army and police stationed at Ugboju Ogobia had not reached the community to protect innocent citizens. We are helpless and vulnerable, but we still look onto God,” the source said.

The Chairman of Otukpo Local Government Area, Mr Maxwell Ogiri, confirmed the attack, saying 14 bodies had been recovered while injured victims were receiving treatment.

He said the victims were attacked without provocation.
“Fourteen dead bodies have been recovered, and many others are wounded. There was no provocation; it was simply to shed blood and kill innocent people.

“The people are afraid, and there is great apprehension. Residents of neighbouring communities are already fleeing,” Ogiri said.

The council chairman expressed concern over the continued attacks despite the presence of security personnel in the area.

“There are many security agencies in Otukpo, including the military, police, mobile police and agro-rangers. I do not know if they are not enough. Government must deliberately enforce the state’s anti-open grazing law because everything is tied to it.

“The eviction notice given to illegal occupants cannot achieve anything without proper enforcement, and our people will continue to lament if nothing is done,” he added.

Ogiri disclosed that he was at the teaching hospital awaiting the arrival of injured victims who had initially received first aid at a local hospital.

Asked who was responsible for the attacks, he said, “It’s still the same militia herdsmen. There was no issue and no provocation.

 

“They have been attacking communities sporadically in recent days, and the casualty figures keep increasing. Security personnel are in Otukpo, but I do not determine their operations. My responsibility is to provide them with accommodation and logistics.”

Before the Efeyi attack, another resident was reportedly killed on Monday while working on his farm in Ipom community, also in Ugboju District of Otukpo LGA.

On the same day, suspected armed herdsmen invaded Abaji community in Moon Council Ward of Kwande LGA, where they opened fire on farmers working on a Bambara nut farm.

A woman who sustained gunshot injuries reportedly died hours later, while the attackers allegedly took away two motorcycles belonging to fleeing farmers.

A survivor said, “We were on our Bambara nut farm on Monday morning when we noticed strange movements. Suddenly they started shooting, and we all ran for our lives, abandoning our farming tools.

“They shot a woman and took away two motorcycles belonging to our neighbours. We are back home now, but everyone is living in fear.”

Efforts to get the reaction of the Benue State Police Command were unsuccessful, as the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Udeme Edet, had not responded to enquiries as of the time of filing the report.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here